Phone: +38 (050) 951-54-70
Location:


Holy Habitation and Church of Intercession


 

Ancient tales has it that up and until 1917, the only entrance to Svyatogorsky Monastery, also known as the “HOLY PLACE”, was by crossing the river by bridge. Sadly this bridge has not been preserved.

 

The first sight, as visitors who crossed the bridge to enter the monastery, was the majestic “CHURCH OF INTERCESSION” * also considered as a “HOLY HABITATION”. **

 

To create this majestic sight, architect Konstantin Ton used the same architectural profile & design style as that of his other work, like the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, the Moscow Kremlin Palace, the Svyatogorsky Monastery (built in 1850), as well as the Monastery of Count Potemkin.

 

The renowned bell tower that rises far above with the main feature, a cylindrical column that creates an overhead dome, became famous for its majestic appearance. When the church bell rang loudly over the river, the bell ring traveled down the Donets River and the magical sound was carried for miles down as far as the Protection Church.

 

The drum of the church bell tower also host the well known special watches handcrafted by a self-taught master of the trade, monk Antonin.

 



Foot notes *:

 

HOLY HABITATION is “A river that brings joy to the city of our God, the sacred home of the Most High – Ref: Psalms 46:4

CHURCH OF INTERCESSION in this context refers to an Intercession Monastery (Moscow) - Intercession (Pokrovsky) Monastery (Покровский монастырь) is a Russian Orthodox convent – Ref: Wikipedia